Friday, November 21, 2014

A method of working


I recently found a painting spot that could provide many months of painting, in fact I feel I could probably paint this area for quite some time.
When I come to a new site, I don’t start painting right away. I look around and make some loose sketches and notations, thinking about composition, elements I might leave out or simplify. 


From experience I have found that I might discover something that may at first seem like it really works but then to find that it is not paintable; I have to move around and see how things look from different angles.
Once I have a few ideas figured out, I will start a small oil sketch, something from 8”x10”-12”x16”. I really am not to bothered about copying exactly what is in front of me. I may be interested in a certain color or form, a patch of light or an atmospheric effect. Not all my outdoor paintings would I consider finished pieces. They are color/form notations and along with some graphite sketches I hopefully have enough information to produce a larger painting back in the studio. 


The hard part is getting everything to come together and trying to maintain the freshness of the oil sketch -sometimes I pull it off and other times I may have to put the work aside and work on it another time. I am always learning and hopefully I always will.

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed your landscape work on Facebook, Simon. Look forward to taking a peek at your process on the blog! I'm particularly interested in something you mentioned tangentially above: taking your plein air work into the studio. I've been doing lots of pieces on site, but haven't had much experience taking that very immediate, experiential work into a more deliberate setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your methodology and the resulting art. I've already added your blog link to my blog so others might benefit from your insights.

    ReplyDelete